Street Crime Short Stories #4

Street crime short stories #4

U.S. Copyright 1-4992347791-2017

I was back on patrol working day shift in the Shreve City area. It was fall, my favorite season.

It was early morning in Dallas, Texas. She was washing her brand new Chevy Camaro in a self serve carwash. She was an attractive, young, single lady. She pulled into a empty bay, looked around and felt secure. She turned off her engine, grabbed a handful of quarters and plugged them into the machine. Not wanting to lock her keys in the car, she made certain her doors were unlocked.

She took her time washing the road film from her red sports car. She just finished rinsing it when she felt something press against her lower back. Frightened she quickly spun around. Her eyes focused on the young male in front of her. He was holding a large black handgun pointed at her chest. He smiled and instructed her to get in the back seat of her car. She took a step toward the car. Suddenly she raised the wash wand and pulled the trigger. The cold blast of water to the suspect’s eyes blinded him for a moment. The second suspect came around the dividing wall running at her. She vaulted into a full run around the opposite dividing wall and through the next empty bay. She sprinted across the parking lot into the city street. She was waving her arms high in the air attempting to stop a motorist. Luckily a man in a pickup truck screeched to a sudden stop. Without a word being said, he looked back at the carwash and noticed the two suspects getting into the red Camaro. He jerked open his glove box and grabbed his 1911 Colt 45 pistol. As the suspects squealed on to the street, he jumped from his truck and fired his pistol at the car. The round missed the tire where he aimed hitting the undercarriage. The suspects got away but not before waving at the pickup driver and robbery victim.

Dallas P.D. was called. A nationwide broadcast describing the car and suspects was put out. Hours later in Shreveport, a different lady was getting out of her car at a McDonald’s restaurant on Linwood near Kings Highway. She had her six year old daughter beside her as they walked toward the entrance. Suddenly a red Camaro with Texas plates approached blocking them from crossing to the door. The passenger jumped out holding a big black pistol. He demanded she hand over her purse. She did as directed. She memorized the license numbers as they drove away with her purse. S.P.D. quickly broadcast the information to all officers. I listened to the description of the suspects and the Texas license number. I jotted it down as I drove.

10 minutes later, I spotted the suspects’ car parked at the McDonald’s on Shreveport Barksdale Highway.  I was one city block away as I approached the business. The suspects spotted me as they carried two large sacks of food to their car.  I radioed to headquarters I had the suspects in sight. I gave my location and informed all officers they were in the Camaro pulling on to Shreveport Barksdale Highway.

McDonald’s was busy. Several citizens were in the parking lot so I did not engage the suspects. I did not want to get in a shootout in the parking lot. The suspects blasted out of the parking lot headed East on the service road toward Clyde Fant Parkway. When they arrived at the parkway, they turned north. I kept a safe distance behind and updated all officers of my direction of travel and speed. The suspects hammered the new Camaro. We reached speeds over 100 miles per hour. When we raced across the overpass of Stoner Avenue, I glanced at my speedometer. It read 120 miles per hour. I announced my speed and realized things were getting more dangerous. The Red River Revel festival was set up blocking all lanes of the parkway near downtown. We were about a mile south of the Revel. I alerted the officers working the Revel of my pursuit in progress. I directed them to clear the streets of pedestrians.

Thankfully the officers worked quickly clearing the handful of workers on site. The Revel was scheduled to open in two more hours. The only people present at this time were cops and volunteers.  When we drove through the sharp curve near Veterans Park, the suspects were still traveling at a high rate of speed. Somehow they made it through the curve. As the primary pursuit officer, I learned as a rookie to key my police radio microphone and keep it depressed the entire time. I did not need to hear 20 or so other officers announcing their locations and intentions. All they needed to do was drive and attempt to intercept the suspects.

The lightweight, wooden police saw horses were used as traffic control devices on the parkway. The red Camaro slowed to approximately 70 mile per hour as the Revel came in sight. They ran over the saw horses shattering them to splinters then drove straight through the festival. This occurred before the final phase of the parkway was completed across 12 Mile Bayou. The parkway ended at the intersection of Caddo Street. The suspects slowed as they approached the large protective barrier at the end of the parkway. Almost sideways, they slid west on to Caddo. They bounced across the railroad tracks, made a quick right on to Spring Street heading northbound. They took another right on Airport Drive and continued north.

By now I had at least three other police units joined in my pursuit. We reached speeds over 70 MPH as we traveled north on Airport turning west on Jack-wells Boulevard. Next they turned east on Mayfair entering what cops call Indian Nation or the Cherokee Park neighborhood.  We drove so fast through this small neighborhood I could not read the street signs nor did I know this area well enough to name a street. I released my keyed microphone. An officer behind me continued to announce our direction of travel and location.

The suspects did their best to get away from my powerful police Impala but I stayed with them. Most of the time I was about 6-8 car lengths behind. Another trick to my trade, I learned to remove my seatbelt once speeds got below 60 MPH. I experienced recurring nightmares back then. The dream was I rolled up on an armed suspect while trying to remove my seatbelt, draw my weapon, open my door, turn off the engine and radio my location. The suspect ran to my door and began shooting me.  This dream prepared me or actually blessed me.

Not only did I remove the seatbelt, I drew my Glock pistol and held it in my right hand. The suspects tried to make a very sharp turn at an intersection and lost control. They jumped the curb sliding sideways over the sidewalk through a yard headed for a large wooden security fence. The new Camaro slammed into the fence. The car carried the fence across the yard until it struck a storage building where it came to rest. The driver bailed out without a gun in his hand. He jumped over a neighbor’s fence before I could take him into custody. I focused my attention on the suspect trapped in the car by the fence. I suspected he was armed. I took a position behind the left front wheel of my unit aiming my weapon across the hood. I shouted a short expletive filled order for him to raise his hands and place them on the dash. He did as directed. I approached still holding aim at his chest. I assured him if he moved an inch it would be his last breath on earth. He clearly wanted to live and complied.

I ordered him to crawl across the empty driver’s seat showing his hands at all times. I ordered him face down in the freshly mowed grass. He did. I patted him down and recovered a large caliber pistol from underneath his waist band.  My backup officers chased the first suspect and trapped him in a backyard one block away from my location. I saw him placed in the rear seat of a unit. I took my suspect to jail. Officers waited for the impound wrecker and calmed the angry fence owner. He wanted his pound of flesh from the two suspects but was denied.  Headquarters notified the victim of the Shreveport robbery and Dallas P.D. We had both of their suspects in custody along with a heavily damaged Camaro.

Just so all of you know, I am the current holder of an elite record. I traveled from one end of the Red River Revel to the other in less than five seconds. I am confidant this record will stand for many more years.

5 thoughts on “Street Crime Short Stories #4

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s